Creating Point from a Table

Jump to solution
07-10-2023 07:50 AM
Labels (1)
JBoggs
by
New Contributor

Hello All,

I am following the tutorial here to Display X/Y data from a CSV file containing the lat and long for the point's locations

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/create-points-from-a-table.htm

It creates a new layer with the correct lat and long in the attribute table, but the points are not appearing at the correct lat and long on the map. These coordinates should be in Pocahontas County, West Virginia, but they are putting them about 450 miles SW closer to Hopkinsville Kentucky. 

The layer's projected coordinate system appears correct and matches that of my map project. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch in the software? I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 Standard License.

See screenshot for further explanation.

ArcGIS Pro 1.pngArcGIS Pro 2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Project the points in WGS 84

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Project the points in WGS 84

JBoggs
by
New Contributor

Thanks that worked!

If you don't mind answering, what would be the reason not to use the same projection as my map project? Is decimal degrees always in WGS 84?

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

It is because Latitude and Longitude (decimal degrees) are by default WGS 84.  When you try to represent them in a different projection they are not able to reference the same location.  With some it may just generate the all at 0,0 out in the ocean south of Africa.  

RichardKoech
New Contributor II

Hi,

Someone please health. My GPS coordinates are in an Excel spreadsheet and csv are in the dms (degree, minute, second format.

I am using the default coordinate system (WGS 1984 WEB Mercator (auxilliary sphere). I can't get the points to be displayed on the map. Any idea why?

0 Kudos