Does ArcGIS Pro 2.7 support operating system authentication with PostgreSQL?

Jump to solution
02-02-2021 07:39 PM
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

I have found an older post and documentation for Dasktop10.2, indicating it is unsupported or not recommended. The menu option is available in ArcGIS Pro, but I haven't been able to get it to connect. It's quite possible I'm doing something wrong. But before I spin my wheels too much, can anyone confirm or deny that OS authentication is fully supported for PostgreSQL?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

From what I've read internally is that OS authentication is not supported when connected to PostgreSQL databases.  There is ENH-000132328 to update the documentation to be more explicit about what's supported/not supported. And ENH-000119762 to enable fully support of OS authentication on PostgreSQL databases, such as allowing OS login name contains special characters.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

don't use it so I don't know, but your links are for old help topics, but PostgreSQL has lots of links.

Did you see these?

Database connections in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Connect to PostgreSQL from ArcGIS—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Search Result | Documentation (arcgis.com)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the newer info. No mention of OS authentication in the first two links though. They just say choose database authentication (in bold). Should I interpret that to mean do not choose operating system authentication?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would contact Esri Technical support to see if there is any updated information or an enhancement for this capability.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

From what I've read internally is that OS authentication is not supported when connected to PostgreSQL databases.  There is ENH-000132328 to update the documentation to be more explicit about what's supported/not supported. And ENH-000119762 to enable fully support of OS authentication on PostgreSQL databases, such as allowing OS login name contains special characters.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JesseTemplin2
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert! Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I can focus my attention elsewhere now.

soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

Regarding special characters in the login name, do you know if using mapping in the postgresql pg_ident.conf would work?  I see some examples in some recordings like this one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWb7t8J73Fc ) and have attempted it but can't get it to work yet.

Example of a mapping in pg_ident:

# MAPNAME     SYSTEM-USERNAME     PG-USERNAME

SSPI                     XWikiDBOwner@youraddress     postgres

Then a reference is placed in the pg_hba.conf file

host      all     postgres     127.0.0.1/32     sspi     map=SSPI

Thanks for any insight!

0 Kudos
soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

I was able to get this to work for postgresql 13 - had to look in the postgresql log files to see what the actual domain was.  Then once it was added to the pg_ident file, I was able to connect using operating system authentication.  Grants and permissions needed to be handled via a sql script but it does work. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

FYI: community.esri.com - white paper - How to Configure Windows Authentication for the PostgreSQL Enterprise Geodatabase. - Esri Community

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov