Select to view content in your preferred language

error of parallel processing factor

12-14-2023 08:38 AM
Labels (2)
AlvisDou
New Contributor III

In some tools, if you don't set the parallel processing factor as 0, the tools won't run successfully forever.

for example, use the Watershed tool with a large D8 raster and a large-scale lake raster, if you don't set the factor as 0, you won't get any result and you can't do any processing even if the world is destroyed.

How infuriating!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here are the SA tools that support parallel processing

Parallel processing with Spatial Analyst—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

You can see a decrease in performance given some notes on raster size in the

Controlling parallel processing with environments 

section.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AlvisDou
New Contributor III

I knew some tools support parallel processing.

But what I want to say here is, in the Watershed tool, if you don't set the parallel processing factor as 0 manually, the tool won't work with some large raster at all. however, the default set of this factor is not 0, so although you don't want to apply the parallel processing, you need to set it as 0. 

why not set 0 as the default factor of all tools?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Probably because some people want to apply a parallel processing factor.  If using tools in Arctoolbox it is always a good idea to examine the environments that one is using whether you are using large or small dataset.  The tool use becomes a conscious decision then rather than relying on someone elses decision as to what is best for all.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AlvisDou
New Contributor III
While I know it's a good habit to always check the environment, I have a hard time agreeing with you. First of all, if a tool has a default setting that could bring error, then that setting shouldn't be the default. At the very least there should be a conspicuous reminder. Not everyone is very familiar with the software, and not everyone is well aware of the possible consequences of every environmental setting for every tool. Secondly, this is a commercial program that requires payment, and if one really doesn't want to rely on off-the-shelf stuff for everything, one is more likely to choose open source GIS software. However most people do not have such great skills, so they choose to buy Pro, and therefore should not be so hard on the users. Instead, ESRI should think of ways to solve those nagging problems, as well as, really see what the user needs. For example, the highly acclaimed legend patch shape on arcmap, despite many people suggesting in the forums that they would like to see this feature on the Pro, close to two years later, we've seen nothing.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is best to take up your concerns with Tech Support, they can forward your concerns to the Spatial Analyst Team and those involved in the User Interface

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos