Distinct Dynamic text from attribute?

11-27-2020 06:10 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to only get the unique values from a field in a feature class? 

I have multiple AVL records and would like to use dynamic text to populate which vehicles are being displayed on the map in the layout view. 

I've tried using a distinct SQL query within dynamic text and it keeps telling me my query is invalid. I've also explored Table Frames a bit but there doesn't seem to be a way to filter it down. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Joel - are you attempting to get unique labels for the vehicles from an attribute table in the Map/Layout View and not showing duplicate labels?  You mention filter down - would Label Classes work for this?  If you would be able to provide more details, I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the below image I am looking for an automated way to update the red highlighted section. I've had to redact a few sections of the image but the red outlined area is the only thing that can't be updated automatically.

JoelMeier_0-1606752438930.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah okay now I understand.  Yes, you can do this.  In the Layout, select Dynamic Text, then Table Attribute->Value.  When the "Insert Table Attribute" pane opens, change the Query dropdown to "Map Series Rows" in the Source component, select your Field in the Appearance component and click OK.  When you change the Map Series for each vehicle the dynamic text attribute updates with the name of each vehicle.  See attached image.DynamicText.JPG

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply robert, but I think it's still not quite what I'm looking for. I would need to do a map series based on vehicles in order for that to work, correct? 

I am ok with multiple vehicles on the map at any one time but I only want to know which vehicles are there during the time frame I specified. I dont think what you suggest would work like that, would it?

If I could create a map series based on time intervals automatically that would also be useful. e.g. a map for every 1 hour increment over 7 days. 

0 Kudos