Distance Accumulation tool hanging

Jump to solution
12-11-2023 06:55 AM
Labels (1)
AidanMackay
New Contributor

I am trying to use the distance accumulation tool in ARCGIS Pro 3.1.3 with an input cost raster using point data for the feature source data. I have done this in the past using similar inputs and processing extents. Sometimes the distance accumulation tool hangs and does not finish. Usually I have left it for a day or so and tried again and it has worked. However, for the month I have not been able to get it to work at all.  

I have tried using a different computer and reinstalling ARCGIS Pro but this has not worked. I have also tried with a much smaller area which did not work either. I have tried with different data which has previously worked with no joy.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to try is in the Distance Accumulation GP tool's environment settings, type 0 for the Parallel Processing Factor, then run the GP tool.  This was seen in an ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1case and resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could have a look at

Parallel processing with Spatial Analyst—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

GPU processing with Spatial Analyst—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

to see if you can optimize your computer setting

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to try is in the Distance Accumulation GP tool's environment settings, type 0 for the Parallel Processing Factor, then run the GP tool.  This was seen in an ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1case and resolved the issue.

DouglasRaybuck
New Contributor II

Appreciate the answer, it's great that I've found this page finally and have gotten this simple operation to work. However - if this tool tends to crash when the Parallel Processing Factor is not set to 0, wouldn't it make sense for the default to be 0? Would have saved me some frustrating hours to be sure, and I'm sure countless others are having the same problem. Especially considering that canceling an operation once the tool tries to split into different cores seems to not be possible more often than not and one has to go to task manager to manually close the program and start all over. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I agree with you Douglas but unfortunately don't have an answer for you.  I work in Esri Training Services and am not privy to the decision making with GP tools and environment settings on the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team.  I'm happy this solution helped you though.

0 Kudos
AidanMackay
New Contributor

Thanks that has resolved the issue.