Difference Between ArcGIS Pro and ArcCatalog, setting privileges in one vs the other

Jump to solution
06-25-2020 10:53 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey, 

I used to create views in arcCatalog, then I would set the view to be publicly available to all members of our database.

Very simple process:

Now I have just created a view in ArcPro, I try to tell it that this view should be public as I had done in the past in Catalog, but this time I am not able to set anything:

I am wondering... is this step not required? Are all views available to all database members by default? If that is the case, I am guessing this must have been an unnecessary setting, available to me in ArcCatalog.

Can anyone confirm how this should work? Only one of the two screenshots above are correct, I am unsure which one.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I checked again and found this Bug: BUG-000115693: Unable to manage user privileges on database view in.. 

Tried the "Change Privileges" tool and it worked as suggested in the link. So try that for now, till ArcGIS Pro 2.6 is out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Either the behavior has changed in ArcGIS Pro(which doesn't seem to be the case, as per Esri documentation) or ArcGIS Pro is incorrectly displaying the message (which seems to be the case).

ArcGIS DesktopViews in an enterprise geodatabase—Geodatabases in Oracle | Documentation 

ArcGIS Pro:Views in an enterprise geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

You can grant users select privileges to views in the same way as to tables. Therefore, you can use views to control access to rows or columns in tables.

I am wondering... is this step not required? Are all views available to all database members by default? If that is the case, I am guessing this must have been an unnecessary setting, available to me in ArcCatalog.

No, it is required. The Views are not available to all users by default.

Kory Kramer

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Thanks so much for your details, should I go through my local support (ESRI Australia) to log this? Would that be the best method?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I checked again and found this Bug: BUG-000115693: Unable to manage user privileges on database view in.. 

Tried the "Change Privileges" tool and it worked as suggested in the link. So try that for now, till ArcGIS Pro 2.6 is out.

BenVan_Kesteren1

Just to clarify my situation it is a SQL server enterprise geodatabase. The same statement is visible on:

Views in an enterprise geodatabase—Manage geodatabases in SQL Server | Documentation 

Cheers

0 Kudos