Detect changes between an old aprx version and a new one.

Jump to solution
09-04-2021 11:20 AM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi,

ArcGIS Pro Version 2.8.

I have a project where a user will maintain an .aprx for publishing onto a production portal.

When the user want's the aprx published (as a single Map Service), the aprx is passed to us and we simply publish it.

The previous aprx is archived, the newly published aprx becomes the current aprx, then the process is repeated...

Is there an existing tool to compare 2 aprx's to detect changes in layer order, symbology, definition queries, changed data sources... you name it?

The purpose of this is to properly log changes to the projects in a consistent manner, and for the diff report to be a useful prompt for our team checking there's no errors (spelling mistakes, bad symbology choices etc. not stuff that would show up in Analyze Map).

I guess I'm happy with how to do it in arcpy, although if you have suggestions outside of comparisons of the Layer Class properties I'd welcome them.  I really wanted to check if anyone had any tips or experience of other existing methods.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No.  There are some tools

An overview of the Data Comparison toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but definitely not at the scope that you have identified.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No.  There are some tools

An overview of the Data Comparison toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

but definitely not at the scope that you have identified.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Dan,

Ah that's unfortunate, I was hoping for a "Of course!, have you not seen the project comparison tool before??"

Python it is then.

The data comparison toolset looks handy and will definitely be used, thanks.

0 Kudos