Select to view content in your preferred language

deleting old aprx files

09-01-2024 02:57 PM
JimScurry
Occasional Contributor

I have some projects (aprx) files in ArcGIS Pro 3.3.  They represent changing situations so when new data are added, the files are SAVED AS another, but similar, name.  After a time, I want to delete the old aprx files and I try going through CATALOG and through File Explorer.  When I use the newer aprx file and save that one, the old project file reappears.  As others use this data, it is confusing to have multiple aprx files with similar names.

How can I permanently delete obsolete apex files and not have them reappear the next time I save a project.

Seems like it should be simple (and probably is) but I cannot get it to work.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is Pro always closed when you are using File Explorer?

Remove or delete project items—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JimScurry
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

Thanks, yes.  I log totally out of ArcGIS Pro and delete the file in File Explorer.  I go to another directory and have even rebooted my laptop.  When I log back into AGP, it is not there.  I open the new aprx and everything is good.  When I save (SAVE PROJECT) the new one after making changes, it is there but so is the old one AND the if I just look around and don't make changes, old one has the updated date stamp more often than the new one.  I get the date stamp with no changes to the new aprx, I just do not understand why the old one reappears.  It is bizarre to me.  I have never had old files reappear.  Oh and I have ONE DRIVE disabled and point all of my projects to specific drives and directories.

Jim

Jim

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't know, but I suspect that the whole folder, as suggested in the help topic, would have to be deleted.  When you 'save as' I suspect that you are directing to the same project folder.  Have you tried redirecting to a new folder outside the existing path? just to see what happens.  Also, I only work with locally stored data without online or shared data, which may also be a complication if you don't.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JimScurry
Occasional Contributor
Dan,
Thanks. I will try some alternatives.

Jim
0 Kudos