Select to view content in your preferred language

Definition query on feature service is case sensitive in map view but not in attribute table

07-21-2023 07:17 AM
Labels (1)
MarieLandis1
New Contributor III

This is an inconsistency in how definition queries operate that was discovered in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0, and was replicated by another user on 3.1.0 and Pro 3.1.2.

When a definition query is applied to a text field in a feature service, the query results as shown on the map are case-sensitive. However, the query results for the same query on the same feature service are not case-sensitive in the attribute table. This results in a confusing mismatch of the features that are available in the attribute table and the map. 

Example: a feature service has a UNIT_NAME text field with the values:

Lake Meredith
Lake Clark
Lake Mead

and no values spelled 'lake.'

The query UNIT_NAME like ‘lake% is applied to the feature service layer in Pro.

The map does not show any features, since none of the features' UNIT_NAME values begin with "lake" spelled with a lower case l.
The attribute table, however, shows all features whose UNIT_NAME values begin with "Lake" or "lake," regardless of capitalization.

In this screenshot, you can see that the Lake Meredith feature appears in the attribute table but the feature doesn't appear on the map (except as the gray water body that is part of the basemap - see red arrow):

MarieLandis1_0-1689949470289.png

I saw this behavior on several feature services and layers in a mobile geodatabases (.geodatabase). I tried to replicate it on feature classes and shapefiles, but for those files types I could not replicate the behavior.

Is there a definition query or layer setting that I am missing?

0 Replies