DBMS Sequence not found when using Attribute Rules

Jump to solution
05-22-2020 02:04 PM
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II

I set up an attribute rule to populate a unique ID field in our Address Points layer.

I also set up a corresponding database sequence.

When I add an address point as the database owner, no problem.

When another user who is not the database owner adds an address point, they get an error message about the database sequence.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BThompson
New Contributor

Craig Carsley‌ I just ran into the exact same issue when setting up an immediate calculation rule to populate an ID field with a database sequence. I was able to resolve by fully qualifying the sequence name with the object owner. The Arcade expression should look like:  NextSequenceValue('OWNER.SEQUENCE_NAME')

View solution in original post

25 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Stating the obvious, it must be a permissions issue.  Can a non database owner create a sequence?  Did you create it with the tool or with arcpy?  I've only created sequences in file geodatabases but would like to deploy them at an enterprise level eventually, so this is of great interest to me.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CraigCarsley

Joe Borgione‌ - That was my first thought as well. We even tried enabling a non-database owner user with the same privileges as the database owner, but still no luck. Only the database owner (which was also the creator of the db sequence) can run this particular attribute rule. 

I created the database sequence with the tool.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Is this part of your deployment of the Address Data Management solution by chance?

0 Kudos
CraigCarsley

Joe Borgione‌ - Not exactly, no. We created our Address Points using the ArcGIS LGIM about 8 years ago, and we have maintained it, separately, since then. We've used Attribute Assistant all this time, but I'm trying to move us over to using Attribute Rules. All rules were created custom by me, not as part of a solution.

JoshSaad
New Contributor III

It looks like it can't find the database sequence that's referenced in the attribute rule.  Can you check the sequence name spelling in the rule, or verify that the sequence exists in the database?  Create Database Sequence—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

0 Kudos
CraigCarsley

Thanks for the reply. I would normally agree with you, except that the rule does work when its executed by the data owner, but not any other users. If the issue were sequence spelling, or if the sequence didn't exist, it wouldn't work at all- no matter what user. 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I hate saying this just because of the pain you'll endure, but it may be time to give Tech Support a call...

0 Kudos
BThompson
New Contributor

Craig Carsley‌ I just ran into the exact same issue when setting up an immediate calculation rule to populate an ID field with a database sequence. I was able to resolve by fully qualifying the sequence name with the object owner. The Arcade expression should look like:  NextSequenceValue('OWNER.SEQUENCE_NAME')

Raj-Chavada
New Contributor III

@BThompson We had the exact same issue and it was resolved by using data owner account (prefix) as you highlighted in your post above. I wonder why your post is not marked solution by @CraigCarsley ?