Select to view content in your preferred language

Custom Ribbon commands Grayed out

Jump to solution
06-01-2022 10:00 AM
Labels (3)
ScottJones4
New Contributor II

I am creating a custom ribbon and am looking to add the shaded relief command which is typical located in Imagery >Raster functions > System> Surface options.  Using the All commands search option within the customize ribbon dialog box an option for shaded relief is present. Upon adding it to the ribbon the command is grayed out. But navigating directly to raster functions > shaded relief the command works fine. 

Why would this be grayed out?

Is it possible to add this functionally to a ribbon?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott - so I was responding with the ArcGIS Pro Development Team and they confirmed that this is not possible in ArcGIS Pro.  And more curious that prior to your Esri Community post, there were no Support calls about this nor a public idea created.  So what does this all mean?  Well, I would highly recommend creating an ArcGIS Idea about this topic so it gets visibility to the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team.  Let me know if you have any questions - thx!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott - if you select a raster layer in the Contents Pane, does the Shaded Relief function become enabled?

0 Kudos
ScottJones4
New Contributor II

Robert - It does not enable when I select the tif.. to clarify I looking to create shaded relief from either a dem tif or mosaic dataset of the tifs.  my usual method is attached as esri4.jpg

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott - in further testing, I too created a new tab and tab group, searched for Shaded Relief and added it to the new tab.  Same thing you're seeing, it's greyed out.  This got me thinking was it only this raster function and not others?  So I searched for NDVI or Windchill - couldn't find those functions at all!  So I searched for and added Contour, Aspect and Curvature to the new tab as those are raster functions too.  Would those work?  They did!  Hmmm... In the Project-Options-Customize the ribbon, went to the commands area and the right of the UI and did a right-click - Copy ID to clipboard too see what was being called by ArcGIS Pro.  Interestingly enough the Shaded Relief Raster Function threw a esri_datasourceraster_pixelEditorEnableAltVisualizationButton while the others threw GP tools (see image below.)  Further down the rabbit hole we go.  Next, I wondered well can I add a raster function to a model in ModelBuilder?  I tried to add a raster function and it looked like it might work but then failed last minute.  So this got me thinking again...perhaps raster functions are constrained to the Raster Functions Pane and the Function Editor only and are not exposed to the greater ArcGIS Pro app!  I've got a question out to the ArcGIS Dev Team right now to confirm my suspicions...more to come!

Notepad.JPG

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Scott - so I was responding with the ArcGIS Pro Development Team and they confirmed that this is not possible in ArcGIS Pro.  And more curious that prior to your Esri Community post, there were no Support calls about this nor a public idea created.  So what does this all mean?  Well, I would highly recommend creating an ArcGIS Idea about this topic so it gets visibility to the ArcGIS Pro Dev Team.  Let me know if you have any questions - thx!

ScottJones4
New Contributor II

Robert- Thank you so much for the prompt help and explanations. I will look into creating an ArcGIS Idea.

Thanks