Select to view content in your preferred language

Current project closes when creating a new project

8 hours ago
Labels (1)
bdparrick
New Contributor II

I just encountered a weird issue (feature?) in Pro (I'm on version 3.1.0).

While in working in a project, I decided to create a new one to better organize my data. I clicked the new project button in the top left of my quick access toolbar, filled out the relevant information, and clicked ok. Arc immediately closed the project I was working in (thankfully asked to save first) and seemed to open my new one in its place.

Is there a way to disable this? Is it a bug? What if I had been in the middle of geoprocessing in my current project and lost all my progress because of this?

This is the first time I've ever encountered a program that closes an existing project/file to open a new one.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try launching Pro from your desktop shortcut to open a new session. Pro can have more than one instance open from what I can tell.

BarryNorthey_0-1721747775239.png

Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

As @BarryNorthey mentioned, use a desktop shortcut or you can pin Pro to your taskbar (which is what I do) and open Pro from there.

0 Kudos
bdparrick
New Contributor II

@Eugene_Adkins @BarryNorthey I have no issues opening multiple projects; the issue was creating a new project while already in an open project and that open project closed. I did test it while doing some geoprocessing and it asked if I wanted to cancel all geoprocessing to close the project. Obviously no, so I recreated the issue in another project.

I understand there are other ways to create a new project within desktop, but why on Earth would this method close the current project?

0 Kudos