Select to view content in your preferred language

creating tile cache using pro based cached service

5 hours ago
Labels (3)
BanchanaPandey
Occasional Contributor

We have been converting ArcMap based tile cache service to a pro based service. For the creation of tiles, we use arcpy.server.ManageMapServerCacheTiles geoprocessing tool.  We have noticed that the process takes almost double the time in arcgis pro based service versus the same thing in arcmap based service. There are no changes, same scale, same area of interest, same enterprise geodatabase data source and the time we run the job is also the same.

The 10.8.1 environment that is used for cache generation based of arcmap published service  is a site of 6 machines with 4 cores cpu each, versus the 10.9.1 environment which is being tested for pro based service is also a site of 6 machines with 8 cores cpu each. The memory on the 10.9.1 is higher than the 10.8.1 as well, but still the tile generation is taking way longer. We also ruled out any issue with our script, by running the tile generation directly in ArcGIS Pro, and are seeing the same results.

Is this normal for tile generation through arcgis pro to be slower than running the same tool in arcmap?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@BanchanaPandey that's a really good question. I also do our caching in pro with 10.9.1 on our image server and have found it to be a lot slower than previous. However, I've found caching locally through Pro to be fast. Our image server only has 6 vCPUs whereas our VDI machines running pro have 8, but the speed is way faster than just 33% more (based on the increased core value).

We also have a staging system that we've upgraded to 11.3. If I have time, I'll run a test to see which caches faster.

Have you set your number of cores to -1 in the cache process?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos