Creating New Layers by Unique Attributes

Jump to solution
08-30-2022 08:51 AM
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone, 

I am currently using ArcGIS Pro version 2.60 but I have the chance to upgrade soon so feel free to throw out solutions that require more advanced versions. I am working on a project where I have a large dataset of polygons and I need to clip these polygons to the boundary of the animal home range they are associated with. Currently the polygons are separated into layers by year and what I need is a way to efficiently break each year layer into new layers based on the home range each polygon is assigned to. I have already labeled each polygon with the appropriate home range, but I am looking for a faster way than opening up each year's worth of data selecting each home range by attribute and then making new layers of the selections. I tried the spilt by attributes tool on one year of data, but I am not really sure what this tool did. The tool ran without error, but as far as I could tell no new feature class or table was created. Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if you specified the workspace as a folder, then they are probably shapefiles and you would have to add them manually to the map.  It is best to specify a file geodatabase and make sure this is set in Project, Options, Geoprocessing

geoprocessig.png

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

split by attributes should produce a featureclass for each unique class in the field you chose as the identification field (eg home range ? )

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I gave the split by attributes tool another try. I designated the target workspace as the folder containing the project I am working on. The tool ran, but after running the tool I am not seeing any new layers on my map. Is there an additional step I then need to take add the split layers to my map? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if you specified the workspace as a folder, then they are probably shapefiles and you would have to add them manually to the map.  It is best to specify a file geodatabase and make sure this is set in Project, Options, Geoprocessing

geoprocessig.png

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos