Creating Data Set for Analysis

01-31-2021 01:40 PM
jbugarin
New Contributor

Hello,

I've taken a GIS course where we would complete projects based on data sets that were provided for us.

I'm in a position where I need to create my own data set in order to begin analysis.

Any help regarding how to go about doing so would be appreciated.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VickyWang
Esri Contributor

Hi @jbugarin 
You could start to download the spatial dataset from the Government's Open data website where suits your area of interest.
E.g. cadastral data from local government, demographic data from National Bureau statistic, satellite images from USGS, Geoscience Australia, etc. to build your own dataset that relevant to your topic. 

Below is the analytics tool link for tool usage.
https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/geoanalytics-desktop/considerations-for-geoa...

~Vicky Wang~
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Become familiar with the help files.  They are excellent

Progress to courses (which are available) once you are familiar with terminology and process.

Good places to start

Data in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Spatial analysis in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

include all the sublinks, the above are just the main starting points.

Other main links are within the main help page

ArcGIS Pro help—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

As for creating data to analyse... think of something as well that might be of interest, so you aren't mindlessly doing a poke and click pre-packaged plan of which you have no interest.

... sort of retired...
AlisonKelsey
Esri Contributor

Hi @jbugarin 

There have been some good suggestions from @VickyWang and @DanPatterson. However, it really depends on what type of data you are using and for what purpose.    A simple example is if  you are using point data in an analysis.  You could create a csv or excel file, containing latitude and longitude of the points, along with other information, and just import it into arcGIS.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@jbugarin - there is a great ArcGIS Learning Path here that provides a workflow on how to add and analyze data in ArcGIS Pro.  The lessons are free and relatively short.  They may assist you with your first project.