Creating a sampling grid

Jump to solution
04-29-2021 08:13 AM
Labels (3)
lolo
by
New Contributor

I'm looking to develop a  sampling plan so I  need to make  a grid  over top of my site area that  is  100mx100m.

I've made a polygon and use "Create Fishnet" however every time I do this there is just a very small rectangle that shows up outside  of the polygon (pictured below, the red  circle is the  output I  get).

Looking for suggestions on  how to fix this or what other tools I could use to make a grid in arcgis  pro or  other  things.

lolo_1-1619708672804.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's another similar tool you can try if you find Create Fishnet too confusing

Generate Tesselation

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Because your template extent is tiny.  Use the dropdown to use an extent the 'same as display' or 'same as layer xxx'

The bigger issue is that you're currently using a geographic coordinate system.  switch to UTM or whichever appropriate planimetric coordinate system for your area.  You can then ensure the 100m length by adjusting the cell width and cell height properties.

How Create Fishnet works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ensure that there is only one feature part (Zoom into the area of the small rectangle to ensure that there is no sliver present.

Also I would recommend the polygon you created to be reprojected to Projected Coordinate System (not web mercator).

For template extent, select the polygon layer that you created.

Keep Cell Height and Width as 100 m each.

And No. of Rows and Columns as 0.

Think Location
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's another similar tool you can try if you find Create Fishnet too confusing

Generate Tesselation

lolo
by
New Contributor

This one worked great!! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I was still having a lot of trouble with "Create Fishnet" but Generate Tesselation worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos