Create Vector Tile Package - Visible Scale Range Not Honored For Some Features

11-22-2021 08:40 AM
willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
New Contributor III

I am using the Create Vector Tile Package tool to export tiles from a multi-scale map.

Feature sets with complex geometry, such as a detailed road network, do not draw at the scale ranges I have set, but appear at higher detail levels.

I have tried simplifying the symbology, as well as duplicating the layers and limiting the feature set using definition queries without effect. This occurs with both flat and indexed methods. Scale ranges are based off zoom levels for ArcGIS Online tiling scheme.

Is there any way to force these layers to be included in the tiles of lower resolution tile levels?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

Where are you trying to create the package?  On your local machine, server, online?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
New Contributor III

I'm trying to export the package on my local machine.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

That may be your problem depending on the size of your hard drive.  I have built tile packages before with specific scales and waited countless hours for them to be processed only to find out that due to the sheer size of those tiles, ArcGIS Pro threw them out.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
New Contributor III
I've experienced that before, but I actually haven't had any trouble with
it in this scenario - vector tiles are a faster process than raster tiles.

The tiles always generate, and are roughly as expected, the scale
dependencies just aren't honored strictly enough.
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Maybe after you get the vector tile package created, you could use another geoprocessing tool to refine them?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
willbruce_KarukTribeDNR
New Contributor III

I ended up working around this by using Simplify Line to create a less complex version of the road network to display at smaller scales, which was successfully included in the VTPK. This still seems like a bug, since the Create VTPK tool automatically simplifies some geometry to display it at small scales, but ignores defined scales for other features.