Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Space Time Cube

10-09-2018 01:08 PM
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

I have the ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 with all the features installed. I am trying to create space-time cube using the tool, however, when I try to run it, I get this error: Error 001022: This tool requires a projected coordinate system.

I have defined both "Current XY" and "Current Z" coordinate of the map (Utah; as can be seen attached) to GCS North American 1983 and NAD 1983 respectively, so I have no idea why I get this error again and again. Do you have any idea?

Moreover, I have also used the "Project" tool to project the Layer (Utah_Zipcode_Time) that I want to use in the "Create Space Time Cube" tool. This is a shapefile with a time-based variable, count of incidence, and many other variables in it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As I indicated in your other thread

https://community.esri.com/thread/219654-create-space-time-cube-tool-not-working 

the data coordinate range is that of a Geographic Coordinate system … aka decimal degrees.

the Project Tool needs to be used to project the data.

Your middle two images show that they are in decimal degrees.

Also NAD83 is a datum, not a coordinate system.  

Project your data to a featureclass into a geodatabase and proceed from there, keep all other basemaps out of the process

TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Nasser, the important dataset to project is the one you need to analyze: the Utah_Zipcode_Time data. The maps and basemaps don't matter, as Dan said. What projection is Utah_Zipcode_Time in? It needs to have both a GCS (datum), such as NAD 1983, and ALSO a PCS, or projected coordinate system. For your area of interest, the PCS might be UTM Zone 12N ,or one of the Utah State Plane projections, or maybe even a continental US projection like USA Contiguous Albers Equal Area.

When you select a PCS for the Output Coordinate System in the Project tool, you will automatically be including a GCS along with it. The GCS will most likely be NAD 1983. The main thing for you to figure out is which PCS to use. If you don't have a better idea, or a given standard, try UTM Zone 12N.

The documentation on coordinate systems in ArcMap, starting at What are map projections? may be more helpful than the ArcGIS Pro documentation.

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Thank you all. I finally understood what you were pointing at.

I was trying to project the map, not the layer.

Now, I projected the layer using a PCS appropriate for Utah and things work.