Create Random Points Tool, Minimum Allowed Distance and Overlapping Points

Jump to solution
08-16-2022 04:07 PM
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Hello,

I was using the "Create Random Points Tool" to distribute random points within polygons, and I have a question about the "Minimum Allowed Distance" field in tool interface that I am hoping the community can answer.

For my analysis, it does not matter how close together the random points are, so I left the zero in "Minimum Allowed Distance" field. However, I would like to know if this means that the random points that I have generated could potentially overlap (have the exact same coordinates) or if the points would be distinct just with no set minimum distance required to separate them? Thanks so much.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Points would be distinct features, but they could overlap, that is, have the same coordinates.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Find Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and if you need to delete them

Delete Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

on the shape field if you have the appropriate licence.  If not, you can use the calculate geometry attributes tool and add the x, y coordinates, then sort on those fields and examine.  Unfortunately, sort on geometry requires an advanced license also.  At this point you need to export the featureclass and more is needed.  If you don't have an advanced license, I can provide more info.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Points would be distinct features, but they could overlap, that is, have the same coordinates.

... sort of retired...
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Hello,

I was using the "Create Random Points Tool" to distribute random points within polygons, and I have a question about the "Minimum Allowed Distance" field in tool interface that I am hoping the community can answer.

For my analysis, it does not matter how close together the random points are, so I left the zero in "Minimum Allowed Distance" field. However, I would like to know if this means that the random points that I have generated could potentially overlap (have the exact same coordinates) or if the points would be distinct just with no set minimum distance required to separate them? Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please don't duplicate posts

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your answer. Do you know of a tool I could use to look for overlapping points? 

Sorry about the duplicated post, it won't happen again.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Find Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and if you need to delete them

Delete Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

on the shape field if you have the appropriate licence.  If not, you can use the calculate geometry attributes tool and add the x, y coordinates, then sort on those fields and examine.  Unfortunately, sort on geometry requires an advanced license also.  At this point you need to export the featureclass and more is needed.  If you don't have an advanced license, I can provide more info.

... sort of retired...
LucasBeck
New Contributor II

Thank you so much. This seems to be working great!

0 Kudos