Create points from a table within a corresponding polygon layer based off field name.

07-30-2024 10:44 AM
Labels (1)
gillian_leigh
New Contributor

I have a table describing conflict events (date, event description, country, state, and LGA), unfortunately no x, y fields. I'd like to create points from this table at the centroid of the LGA/local government area that they fall in, based on a polygon feature class that I have which represents these LGAs. I'm struggling to find a tool which can do the following: create points from a table by matching the LGA field in the table to the LGA polygon layer.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

So one way could be to first use the "Feature to Point" tool to get the LGA poly centroids/points. Then use the "Join Field" tool to join the attributes from conflicts events table to the LGA centroid attribute table. The matching field would the LGA field.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
gillian_leigh
New Contributor

Hi Ed,

I appreciate the thought. In the end I'd like to make a chloropleth map of the LGA polygons based on number of conflict events. The idea of creating points for each conflict event at the centroid was so that I could Summarize Within, and then symbolize, all in Pro. But I'm rethinking my approach now. 

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok good luck! if my above comment would have worked for your original approach please kindly accept it as a solution, cheers.

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos