Select to view content in your preferred language

Create geometry to joined/related table

08-25-2024 07:56 PM
LaurenAlt
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I have a location table that I have exported from our asset management system with codes for areas we manage. I want to connect this table to the feature classes they represent. I want the table to hold the centroid location for these areas in the table, not in the feature class. Is there a way I can connect this table to about 6 feature classes and have the geometry updatable in the table?

Eg, table has location code, latitude, longitude

Feature has the location code (for the join/connection) 

When I use Join, I can't use calculate geometry in the table. Would a relationship be able to achieve this by pushing any location changes of the feature to the attributes in the table?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Matthew_Muehlhauser
Regular Contributor

You have a couple of options. You could pre-calculate the field in the original feature, then do the join and pass that field's value to the table.

Another way would be to use arcpy / data access cursors if you're comfortable with scripting and it doesn't require creating the temporary field. You could use a search cursor to get the join field and any other attributes, including "SHAPE@X", "SHAPE@Y",  as a dictionary and then use an update cursor to fill in the fields if it matches. There's a great guide on getting started with cursors:
https://community.esri.com/t5/python-blog/turbo-charging-data-manipulation-with-python/ba-p/884079