Select to view content in your preferred language

Create/copy style file from ArcPro to ArcMap

05-02-2023 10:36 AM
janderson_ksninc
Occasional Contributor

I have a couple of maps that I need to perform edits on. I need to incorporate specific symbology to the maps. I got the symbology in the form of an ArcPro map package but I still have some maps that are in ArcMap. I would like to avoid having to move the maps over to ArcPro since the budget is virtually exhausted and the maps contain literally dozens of layers as it is a large-format map (36"x48"). Is there a way (perhaps a workaround) to create/copy the point, line, and polygon symbols from a style file in ArcPro and make the same this in ArcMap?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

There is no way to directly convert an ArcGIS Pro  *.stylx to an ArcMap *.style file to my knowledge.  But what you could do is in ArcGIS Pro share as web layer to your ArcGIS Online portal or your ArcGIS Enterprise portal first.  Then open up the Items Details page in that portal and on the right side, click the Open in ArcGIS Desktop dropdown followed by Open in ArcMap.  It "should" remember the symbology if that symbology is supported when you share the web layer. Then bring those layers in your ArcMap docuement to recreate the map.

0 Kudos
janderson_ksninc
Occasional Contributor

That sounds promising. Will the symbology remain in vector format or will it convert all the symbols to jpgs?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Off the top of my head, I do not know but if I had to guess - jpg maybe?  Worth a test though...

0 Kudos