Create a slope profile of a least cost path line

Jump to solution
02-28-2022 01:22 PM
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

I'm curious to know if and how it's possible to create a slope/altitude profile of a least cost path line. As seen in the screenshot below, I've derived several traverses using the least cost path tool. I've read some information about making profiles using 3D lines, but I don't think it fits what my goals. Anyone have any guidance?

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that my goals are to produce a slope/altirude profile of the least cost path line that looks something like this:

MiniR_0-1646086602843.png

The above graph is what I found in ArcGIS documentation referencing 3D lines.

Thanks,

MiniR_0-1646083254819.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

Thought I'd share the solution with you, Dan!

I found that using the Interpolate Shape (Spatial Analyst) tool on the traverse line produced from the Least Cost path tool did the job!

Once the Interpolate Shape tool is completed create a Profile graph by right clicking on the produced line.

MiniR_0-1646247133121.png

Best wishes,

Mini

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You don't say what your goals are.  Perhaps

Extract Values to Points (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

since it seems you have points or a line which could be Densified and used to get the values

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

my goal is to derive a slope/altitude slope profile of the least cost path line that would look something like this :

MiniR_0-1646086501200.png

The method used to produce the above profile makes use of 3D lines

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

use points to make lines on a graph... 

You can calculate the cumulative distance between the points easily enough using the field calculator, from the coordinate values and you can use many graphing packages as well

old school perhaps, but it still works,

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MiniR
by
New Contributor III

Thought I'd share the solution with you, Dan!

I found that using the Interpolate Shape (Spatial Analyst) tool on the traverse line produced from the Least Cost path tool did the job!

Once the Interpolate Shape tool is completed create a Profile graph by right clicking on the produced line.

MiniR_0-1646247133121.png

Best wishes,

Mini