Select to view content in your preferred language

Create 1 popup for 3D objects with same attribute

12-21-2020 02:27 AM
Labels (1)
ChristianGrass
New Contributor

Hi all,

Is there a way to create a popup that connects several 3D objects that have the same attribute?

I have a 3D object (a building) which consists of a ground, the wall and the roof. To colour them individually, the building is split into 3 seperate 3D objects, which do all have the same house ID stored as an attribute. The goal is now to have only 1 popup for the whole building. So, independent of if I click on the roof, the wall or the ground, I want that the whole building is highlighted and only 1 popup is shown with information about the building. I could connect these 3 objects by their house ID, but I don't know how I can achieve this in ArcGIS Pro. If I don't split the building in 3 parts, then I can have only 1 popup, but I cannot colour the 3 parts individually. The only way to get what I want would be to make a copy of the building and don't split it into 3 parts and then visualize it 100% transparent, so that I get just one popup of it, but can visualize the not transparent building individually. But as I have several tousand of buildings in my map, this would lead to a very bad performance.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem in a smart way? I'm thankeful for any kind of help.

Cheers,

Christian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

If I understood the problem well, you will solve it by merging GP tool. In that case, you will have one object with three buildings, one ID and one or more description attributes.

0 Kudos
ChristianGrass
New Contributor

Hi BranislavBlagojevic

Thanks for your answer. The merging tool only merges the 3 parts/objects into one feature class. But in this feature class, the objects are still seperate. So I still cannot get one popup and feature selection for all 3 objects by clicking on one of them. I guess the only way to solve this is something with connected popups or feature selection. Because combining 3 objects into 1 and still be able to colour the 3 parts differently is in my opinion not possible. Thus, it might be something like connect the features by their house ID and select all connected features when selecting on of them. I tried this with generating relations between the 3 objects based on the house ID, but it is not working how I thought it would.

Cheers,

Christian

0 Kudos
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Christian,

There are basically two options (that don't require schema changes) --> use a Relate or use a Join.

With a Relate, you use the tree-nodes at the top of the popup to navigate to the related content - for example, all the cities in a state (screenshot below). This works well for 1-to-many relationships (eg: from a building to all the rooms inside it), but it sounds like your relationships are more the 1-to-1 type.

NathanShephard_0-1608660238584.png

So, if you use a Join instead, the attributes from the 'to' feature class are appended as "extra attributes" on the source feature class. This can slow down the performance of the app (if the feature counts are high), but might be closer to what you want. Clicking on the main feature will then show attributes for the feature and the join tables.

You are correct that you will need to keep the different features in order to symbolize them differently.

Hope this helps!

-Nathan.

0 Kudos
ChristianGrass
New Contributor

Hi Nathan

Thanks for your reply. I already tried it with a Relate, but this does not give me the results that I wanted. The problem with the Join is, that I do not have a main feature. I either have the house object or the 3 parts of it (wall, floor, roof). 

Thanks for your help.

Christian

0 Kudos