Copy/paste features in ArcGIS Pro - how?

Jump to solution
04-20-2015 08:48 AM
SaraKidd
Occasional Contributor

Trying to copy/paste selected features from one layer to another layer in ArcGIS Pro (file geodatabase). I have used Select by Attribute to grab the features of interest, click on Copy, then click Paste. It seems to be just making a copy of the whole layer. It did not copy the selected features and did not paste them into another layer. It seems there is supposed to be a "Paste special" option but that is not activated - only the regular paste. What am I missing? Thanks.

Tags (3)
36 Replies
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Jennifer's response (click Map View tab to make it have focus) was the answer in my case.

0 Kudos
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

+1

0 Kudos
ZachAnderson2
New Contributor III

I just updated to 2.1.3 and this is still an issues/buggy. You still need to make sure that the Map tab is the "focus" before paste special will become available. 

deleted-user-Kq6tBi-9bAzM
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, I still get the error "Paste Features failed" (Pro 2.2.3). Perhaps this is better than yesterday (2.2.1) when it created a new feature but without any geometry.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you gotten this functionality to work in 2.2.3?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-Kq6tBi-9bAzM
New Contributor II

I did. Tried again just now and it was as simple as you would expect it to be. Worked with right-click Copy. Also worked with ribbon bar Copy and Paste Special buttons. It even brought across attributes in a predictable manner. 

Edit: this afternoon I am using cadastral polygons from a different state and it is pasting property parcels with empty geometry... so I'm going to say this is a problem with my data from one state rather than an ArcPro issue. Strange because both datasets appear the same to me. Will update if I can find the source of my issues.

0 Kudos
AlderMaps
Occasional Contributor

Still an issue in 2.3.1 but focusing the current map pane works--thanks!

0 Kudos
JonDouglas
New Contributor III

thanks Jennifer

0 Kudos
_Drew_
by
New Contributor

This is not solving it; I only have one map layer even open in the project. Any further insight?

0 Kudos
CraigFreeman2
New Contributor II

I know it's years later, but I'm having the same issue and I don't understand what "focus" means.

0 Kudos