Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy and paste legend between layouts

03-13-2023 10:56 AM
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to copy a legend from one layout, and paste it into another layout w/in the same project. It's not working. I just get a blank box that pastes.

Surely, there's a way to do this? I have googled it with no luck, and don't see anything about it in the forum, either. It doesn't seem right that Pro would offer multiple layouts in the same map project, and then make us create new legends for each layout.

Thanks for your help!

9 Replies
SarahGarner2
Emerging Contributor

Hi there! It is possible. If the data frame in the new layout is different from the one in the original layout, the legend properties may need to be adjusted to point to the correct map frame (the one in your new layout).

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Sarah! It's the same data frame. Just two different layouts for two different scales. And nothing will paste.

0 Kudos
SarahGarner2
Emerging Contributor

Are you using keyboard short cuts for copy/paste or the buttons? I usually use keyboard shortcuts. Try to recreate this issue in a new aprx. If it's still not working, add screen shots to the post. I'm not sure why it would do that! weird.

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I used keyboard shortcuts first, and when that didn't work, I tried it with right click mouse commands. Pro is driving me bananas. Admittedly, I'm just starting to use Pro, I've been using Map for years.  Trying to migrate to Pro now is reminding me why I didn't a few years ago when I could have. It's got some really cool features, apparently, but the basics drive me crazy.

0 Kudos
SarahGarner2
Emerging Contributor

Ava, I felt that way too at first. Stick with it, and try pretending you are using a software by a completely different company - don't assume anything is the same - that helped me. Good luck!

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! If only I had time to put all of my work aside and learn the new program!

0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Like Sarah mentioned check your layout properties and make sure they match the layout it works in.

0 Kudos
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

It does.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

@AvaN I'm sorry this is giving you trouble, you should definitely be able to copy and paste between layouts! Can you look at the map frame being pointed to in your original legend and in the copy? It's possible something is getting messed up there even though they are the same map. To get this select the legend, right click, and choose properties to open the Element pane. Then look for the selected area I show below. If you could share some screenshots of that I'd be able to provide more info. Thanks for your patience and persistence!

AubriKinghorn_0-1678834668988.png

Additionally, you can consider saving your legend to a style and then adding a new legend to your copied layout from that style, but you shouldn't need to. Copy and paste should work. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos