Select to view content in your preferred language

Coordinate system randomly changes.

Jump to solution
02-14-2023 06:07 AM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Has any noted the map coordinate system randomly changing in ArcGIS Pro when editing data related to data-driven pages?  If you disable the map series there is no issue but if the map series is enabled and you edit the page data driving the series the map coordinate system will randomly change to something totally non-related.  Maybe a bug but thought I would post here first.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

We ended up rebuilding the project and this seems to have resolved the issue.  The project was originally created in an older version of ArcGIS Pro 2.x and we are now running 3.1.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies
HalaAbdelmaksoud
Frequent Contributor

Hi @LanceCole,

There are some checks are needed to unify the coordinate system for all the layers and outputs

1- Maybe your layers have a different coordinate system than the map itself, so please check the coordinate system for the map and the layers to be edited.

2- Simply, you could define the desired coordinate system "Output Coordinate System" from environment settings from the analysis tab as in the image below 👇

Please try these checks and let me know the results. 

Screenshot (255).png

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

@HalaAbdelmaksoud ,

Thanks for the input.  I have not had a chance to try your possible solution was we are under a deadline to get this out today.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Lance, what version of Pro are you running? I do editing in my map series in pro quite a bit and have not had the issue of the coordinate system changing on me. One thing I have to make sure of is that I am "clicked" in the right map on my layout. Sometimes I'll accidentally click on my "inset" map which is usually in web mercator, so I'll have to remember to click on my main map (clicking it makes it the active map). Also, in the map series properties, do you have a Spatial Reference field defined?

AdrianWelsh_0-1676409416021.png

This could be causing issues too.

ttencer
Emerging Contributor

thank you, It helped me to understand why Im constantly in Projected Coordinate System Anguilla 1957 British West Indies Grid (WKID 2000) instead of render symbols in 1:2000:)

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

@AdrianWelsh ,

We are running ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3.

We currently do not have a spatial reference field included in our dataset for this map series.  I assume this would be a WKID value?  All of the data and maps are in the same coordinate system and everything works fine as long as you do not edit the Index Layer data while the map series is enabled.  When you do, the map coordinate system will randomly change to an unrelated coordinate system.

As I noted in @HalaAbdelmaksoud post we are under a deadline to get this data published today but I will try your solutions in more depth tomorrow.  

Thanks again for your input.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I really have not tried using the Spatial Reference selector so I am not sure if it's a WKID or some sort of projection string. One question, how do you know that the coordinate system is changing on you and when does it change? Are all your layers in the same coordinate system for this particular map?

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

While editing the index layer data that drives the dynamic data pages the map will just disappear from the screen.  It took a little time to troubleshoot the issue the first time but we found the project Map coordinate system had changed from NAD83/86 to some coordinate system I had never heard of before.  Reset the map coordinate system back to NAD83/86 and everything works as long as you do not edit the data.  If you disable map series before trying to edit the data, the issue does not occur.

All feature classes and the basemap imagery are in the same coordinate system in this project.  

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, that is one of the strangest things I have heard regarding this. How weird for it to switch like that! I wonder if @KoryKramer has ever come across this.

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

We ended up rebuilding the project and this seems to have resolved the issue.  The project was originally created in an older version of ArcGIS Pro 2.x and we are now running 3.1.