Converting numeric time values into date format

Jump to solution
12-16-2019 07:20 PM
AustinReeves
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I have run into a little problem regarding the formatting of dates within a ArcPro table. First off, the table is originally a .xlsx and has been converted using the "excel to table" tool. The original excel table has a date field with values in the format of "12/23/1998 14:40" and has upon using the tool, has been converted into the 5-digit numeric date scheme. These numeric dates have decimals i.e. "26507.6875" and is due to what I assume to be the time of day. I have found this thread Date field in Excel to Table tool , but upon trying the code I get the standard "999999" message (unexpected error). Any other suggestions on how I can get the dates back to the regular format? Thanks!

-Austin

13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I get what you're saying; I was converting a couple thousand records and more or less stumbled on this particular 'un-documented feature'.  It's also when I first learned of the Microsoft date indexes described in my other thread you reference above.

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop 

If you have cells with numeric data, dates, and so on, ensure that the content is consistently formatted—in other words, make sure all numeric data is actually numeric. If there are other types of data in those rows, the field is converted to text when the table is opened in ArcGIS Pro.

They fail to mention that "blanks" can break the "consistently" rule.

No cell should go empty!!  There should be a huge warning flash onscreen when blanks are encountered

If you are working in Pro tables from scratch....

/blogs/dan_patterson/2019/11/28/the-solution-to-null-in-tables 

Or know some python

/blogs/dan_patterson/2018/12/13/excel-arrays-tables-in-arcgis-pro 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I love this : No cell should go empty!!  

Couldn't agree more, but we know what reality gives us!

That should just about do it....
AustinReeves
New Contributor II

Dan Patterson and Joe Borgione, I got the new excel worksheet created with no blanks (plus the date range I'm interested in), and it transferred over to ArcPro with no issues! Wanted to say thanks again, as I wouldn't have known where to go without both of your guys' input! 

-Austin‌