Convert a SQL table to M2M relationship class table

05-04-2022 05:49 AM
Boyang_Wang
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have a many-to-many relationship in an Access database, and I want to export it to my ArcGIS Enterprise SQL Geodatabase. I managed to import the Access database to SQL using SQL Server Management Studio, so now I need to convert the relationship table into a relationship class that can be recognized in ArcGIS Pro. Is there a tool to do this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Relationship Class just sets up the relationship between two tables.

Once both your tables are in the geodatabase, use Pro's Create Relationship Class GP tool.

R_

0 Kudos
Boyang_Wang
Occasional Contributor II

I think what you are referring to are one-to-one and one-to-many relationships. For many-to-many relationship, relationship class need a intermittent table. It seems that Create Relationship Class GP tool can only create new intermittent table but cannot use existing intermittent table. I guess I can create a blank intermittent table using that tool, and append the records from my existing intermittent table in SQL to the newly created table.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Not sure about that.  I don't use M:M relationship classes, but  I don't see "intermittent" table anywhere in the GP tool or it's help.  All I see is the two input tables (origin and Destination), and it doesn't seem to matter if I create a 1:1, 1:M, or M:M. 

However, if I run the tool with the two input tables, it creates the relationship class.

R_

0 Kudos