Select to view content in your preferred language

Combining line and polygon files?

11-09-2020 11:42 AM
BregietaArvidson
New Contributor

I want to take the lake contour file (line file with many lines and islands, etc. at 10m) and incorporate it in the lake shape file (polygon) - it'll look like a depth map for 10m areas. A polygon file with different polygons for nearshore areas will allow me to cut and work with singular bays in the lake poly file. Tried Overlay - didn't work - it created another line file even though I used the polygon file as the template. And other analysis tools haven't worked since the layers are different geometries.  I also tried to make the line file a polygon so that I could merge the polygon layers but that wouldn't work either. I'm definitely missing something here.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've never seen it before on the esri side.

Is there some workflow you think will be simplified by doing this?

If I'm interpreting this right, you may find the Split tool will do what you want:

Split (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Split—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
BregietaArvidson
New Contributor

Foremost, I'm trying to isolate I'd like to be able to calculate acreage of specific bays out to the 10m depth mark, and the lake has miles of shoreline and hundreds of acres of near-shore area less than 10m. I had also already tried the Split tool - I need to 'split' the polygon file with the line file and it won't let me do that. For some reason I can only choose polygon files for the 'Split features' which splits the line file rather than the other way around. In the end it fails if I hit run or it produces another line file.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Gotcha, the documentation wasn't very helpful with that limitation (strange from esri…)

The Feature to polygon tool should fit the bill.

Feature To Polygon (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Richard Fairhurst‌ seems to provide the answer in this thread:

How to cut polygon feature using line feature 

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

If you use the Split editing tool (Edit tab > Modify > Split), you can Split by feature:

Documentation: Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Does that help?

Thanks,
Scott

0 Kudos