Combining Entries with Duplicate Symbology in Legend

Jump to solution
07-29-2024 06:01 PM
KyleKramer
New Contributor

Hello all,

I am trying to create a legend in my layout that pulls together several layers with matching symbology. For analysis and quick visualization purposes, I have created multiple features that are all showing different categories of the same thing, in this case different classes of roads and their speed limits. For the symbology, I have designated each speed limit as the same color (i.e. 20 mph = green, 25 mph = blue, etc.) across all these layers, which are in a group. This looks fine on the map, but when I show these layers on the legend, it repeats the same label for each different layer, as follows:

speed limit troubleshoot.jpg

I have tried only showing a few layers in the legend to avoid this duplication, but none of the layers have all of the different speed limit categories I am trying to show in the legend. Is there a way to have the legend just display the symbol and label for each entry once? Any recommendations for other workarounds? Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KyleKramer 

There is no option in the UI that combines legend classes across layers. If you do not need a "dynamic" legend, that is one that updates automatically, I would suggest converting the legend to graphics and manually deleting redundant elements. The Concert to Graphics command is available off the context menu of the Legend. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KyleKramer 

There is no option in the UI that combines legend classes across layers. If you do not need a "dynamic" legend, that is one that updates automatically, I would suggest converting the legend to graphics and manually deleting redundant elements. The Concert to Graphics command is available off the context menu of the Legend. 

Hope this helps,

Tom

JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

In cases like this I create a separate layer that's only used for the legend has the classes I'm interested in seeing in the legend. Then I add a definition query that won't return any features so it won't draw duplicate features on the map. If I'm not displaying the layer name in the legend I usually name it with something obvious to me like "FOR LEGEND ONLY" to keep things straight.