Combining CSV Table Data to Census Tracts

06-06-2022 01:27 PM
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello,

Currently, I'm trying to combine data from a standalone CSV table with census tracts so when you click on each census tract the corresponding information will appear from the CSV table. Each time I attempt to join the data, the combined attribute table shows <Null> values for the added data. Is there a specific reason the <Null> appears instead of the actual data? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Krishna - one thing I can think of "why" your join is failing is that your Input Join Field (Census Tracts) and the Join Table Field (CSV) must be the same field types.  For example, text fields in both tables, or both short integers in both tables.  If they are not the same field type, then you may see <Null> data.  Another reason is table cardinality.  ArcGIS Pro does allow 1-M cardinality so this too would explain <Null> data.  Depending on your table cardinality, you could consider a Relate.  You can learn about Joins and Relates here.

0 Kudos
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the help! Currently, still working out a few issues. 

0 Kudos
AndyAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

If your CSV table only contains a subset of the tracts that are in your tract file, it could have joined but you would have to scroll down to see the matching records. The default behavior is to keep all records, so there could be many records that don’t match and they are filled with null data.

— Andy

0 Kudos
KrishnaTiwari
New Contributor III

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the help! Currently working out a few issues. 

0 Kudos