Combine points and polygons (Visualization)

Jump to solution
04-29-2021 05:23 AM
Labels (1)
ThorbenSell
New Contributor

Hey!

I am new in this community and like the most of the newcomers I have a question.

I want to combine points and polygons but only for a visualization. The goal ist that when a point is selected a polygon is also selected. I think /hope for an easy solution but I can`t find anything.

To describe my problem a little bit more:

There are polygons (project areas) and points (mostly the city where the main organisation sits) in these areas. The points are symbolizied with the indiviudal project logo. The goal is that when a projekt point is selected the project area also shows up. On long term I want to use it as a Web-App with ArcGIS Online.

Do you have any solutions/tips or guesses for me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Welcome!

If you're using something like Dashboards or Experience Builder, it's simple enough to have a selection in one layer filter / highlight features in another, which is what you're describing.

To make something like this work, it's best if the layers share an attribute. Consider this dashboard map:

jcarlson_1-1619701100743.png

In the map's settings, I can add an action to filter the states when the capital city is selected, because they share a FIPS code in their attribute tables.

jcarlson_0-1619701081770.png

Now I will select a capital:

jcarlson_2-1619701138880.png

Similar actions are available in Experience Builder as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Welcome!

If you're using something like Dashboards or Experience Builder, it's simple enough to have a selection in one layer filter / highlight features in another, which is what you're describing.

To make something like this work, it's best if the layers share an attribute. Consider this dashboard map:

jcarlson_1-1619701100743.png

In the map's settings, I can add an action to filter the states when the capital city is selected, because they share a FIPS code in their attribute tables.

jcarlson_0-1619701081770.png

Now I will select a capital:

jcarlson_2-1619701138880.png

Similar actions are available in Experience Builder as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Terry_Iffland
New Contributor III

Consider a spatial join between the points and polygons.  Then when you select a point the associated polygon features will be jointed to them and you can determine the features for the associated polygon.