Select to view content in your preferred language

Colors from Symbology change when exporting to PDF

08-17-2023 10:30 AM
TimothySmith
New Contributor

I have a point layer that I am symbolized by graduated symbols. I am also varying colors by another index field. when I view the map in the layout view, everything looks great. When I export the map to pdf, the varied colors change somewhat randomly. The work around is to use .png or .tiff, but I prefer .pdf and it is perplexing why this happens in the first place.
This is the Layout View

TimothySmith_2-1692293344316.png

This is the .pdf.

TimothySmith_1-1692293309027.png

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to try is to "enable color management" in ArcGIS Pro.  To do so, go the Project tab, click options and under the application heading, click the color management tab.  Toggle the "enable color management" button on.  Now go to export your map as a PDF.  Bottom of the export pane is a toggle for "embed color profile" - enable that and export.  Do the colors in the layout match the PDF?  Please advise.

0 Kudos
TimothySmith
New Contributor

Robert, thank you for your response. While testing your suggestion, I realized the issue may have been localized to just that specific layer. I moved that layer between projects and the problem followed it, while a recreated layer from the exact same source successfully exported with and without your suggestion. Strangely an Esri Support Analyst was able to recreate the error with a totally separate dataset.

That is a long way to say, I'm not sure if your suggestions is a true solution or not. It did not solve the problem for the original faulty layer, but it was not needed for a duplicate layer that seems to work appropriately. Regardless, thanks for your input.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for the feedback Timothy.  Interesting that it was reproducible on a totally different dataset.  Agree that I'm not sure if my response is/was a solution or not but as long as it's working now, I guess that's a win!

0 Kudos