Select to view content in your preferred language

Clip layers at specified extent

07-01-2024 05:43 AM
Labels (1)
ChrisShaffer
New Contributor II

In the map view, I'd like to clip layers at a specified extent. For example, I want to see all of the data at the 1:500,000 scale, but only the data within a drainage basin outline at 1:250,000 scale. I want to avoid making make new/separate layers for each map scale. Ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Chris!

If I understand you correctly...

Generally you set map extent and clipping in the map frame.

What I do is zoom in or expand to the largest usage area for the map. In your case that would be 1:500,000.

Then center it so your area of interest is in the middle. Create a Bookmark and name it 1:500,000 or something else to your liking.

Then right click the Map Frame, select Properties. Select Clip Layers. Select Clip to a custom extent. Select Current visible extent. Click Apply and OK. Then save your project.

Here's a help page for you.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/properties/clip-layers-in-a-map.htm

If you want to have clip files of your points, lines and polygons, you can create a rectangle clipping polygon, and then do a batch clip and save the 1:250 K clips to the geodatabase. Batch clips are fun to do, too, and serve their purpose if you are obtaining data from cloud server geodatabases, and want speedy load times.

Please let me know if this will get you to your destination.

0 Kudos