Clicking Tabs in Contents Pane Causes Crash

Jump to solution
02-14-2023 02:47 PM
AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!

I could not find any posts mentioning this issue and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Clicking between the "List By" tabs in the Contents Pane frequently causes ArcGIS Pro to crash. When this happens the send report window comes up saying "ArcGIS Application has stopped working"

Oftentimes the issue is preceded by the Contents Pane getting "hung up" when switching to a different List By tab. For example, switching from List by Labeling back to List By Drawing Order appears to change the tab, but when toggling the checkbox for a layer, it registers it as toggling the Labeling instead of Layer Visibility. Sometimes clicking back and forth between the List By tabs fixes it, but at this point the application usually just crashes as soon as another List By tab is clicked.

This has been an issue for a couple years now and has persisted through ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3. The closest I have came to finding a solution is to create an entirely new project. This is only a temporary work around, since the issue usually occurs again within a few weeks and persists until another project is created.

I use ArcGIS almost full time for my work in public safety and would really like to find a solution for this issue. Recreating projects can be time consuming as it requires adding back all the layers, symbology, labels, database connections, folder connections, locators, etc.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue or if there are any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thank You!

Angel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wizgis
by
Occasional Contributor II

@AngelBarnett  Thank you for sharing the details.

After going through the details I suspect that there are two graphic card one internal (Radeon Graphics) and one dedicated (NVIDIA) . Can you confirm that by going into device manager by clicking on start icon and searching for device manager.

In the device manager window expand display adapters and check if more than 1 item is listed. 

Attaching a screenshot for your reference.

DeviceManager.PNG

If there are two items can you try disabling one and work with ArcGIS Pro and see if the issue persists. Conflict between graphic cards can cause this issue. I would suggest you work with your IT while performing the above mentioned troubleshooting step. 

You can also refer the following link which has detailed steps and though it mentions ArcMap, I think it can be applied for Pro as well. : https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000013717 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wizgis
by

Hi @AngelBarnett 

There can be many reasons for this behavior; however, to start, can you please share the following details: 

1. What's the OS of the machine on which you are running ArcGIS Pro?
  2. Does the issue only happens when you interact with List By buttons in the contents pane ? What happens if you try to run any geoprocessing tool ? 
  3. Are other people in your organization facing this issue ? 
  4. Do you have a dedicated graphic card or an integrated one ?
  5. Would it be possible for you to operate ArcGIS Pro on a separate machine and see if the issue persists.

Hope this helps and issue can be narrowed down. 

0 Kudos
AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

Hello @wizgis,

Thanks for responding to my post! Here are the requested details:

1. Device specs:
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • OS Build - 19044.2604
    • System Type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    • Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics 3.80 GHz
    • RAM - 32.0 GB (27.9 GB usable)
  2. The issue only happens when interacting with the Contents Pane. Running geoprocessing tools works fine.
  3. Other people in my organization use ArcGIS Desktop, I don't have anyone else to verify the issue
  4. Dedicated graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. Drivers are up to date
  5. Not at this time unfortunately, ArcGIS Pro is only installed on this machine
0 Kudos
wizgis
by

@AngelBarnett  Thank you for sharing the details.

After going through the details I suspect that there are two graphic card one internal (Radeon Graphics) and one dedicated (NVIDIA) . Can you confirm that by going into device manager by clicking on start icon and searching for device manager.

In the device manager window expand display adapters and check if more than 1 item is listed. 

Attaching a screenshot for your reference.

DeviceManager.PNG

If there are two items can you try disabling one and work with ArcGIS Pro and see if the issue persists. Conflict between graphic cards can cause this issue. I would suggest you work with your IT while performing the above mentioned troubleshooting step. 

You can also refer the following link which has detailed steps and though it mentions ArcMap, I think it can be applied for Pro as well. : https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000013717 

Hope this helps.

AngelBarnett
New Contributor III

@wizgis You are correct, there were two active display adapters!

AngelBarnett_0-1677011034234.png

I disabled the internal Radeon Graphics card and so far I have not experienced any issues with the contents pane or the application crashing.

I haven't used ArcGIS Pro enough to be sure this fixed the issue, but fingers crossed things will continue running smoothly.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. You have been a tremendous help!

0 Kudos
wizgis
by

Welcome @AngelBarnett  Glad to know that this is looking good for you. 

0 Kudos