Select to view content in your preferred language

Clarity on Annual Subscriptions for ArcGIS Pro and Timeline of Attribute Rules in ArcGIS Online

10-19-2023 10:34 AM
GISUSER6
New Contributor III

Hello!

I have some questions I’d like to bounce around the community to make sure I have my facts straight and gain some insight into the upcoming retirement of ArcGIS Desktop and the new annual ArcGIS Pro cost structure. I talked briefly with an Esri rep about the annual costs of ArcGIS Pro licensing and it brought up a few more questions.

Our organization primarily relies on Attribute Assistant for a few of our larger projects. I would say we are at about 75% ArcGIS Pro and 25% ArcMap. In anticipation for 2026, we are working up a plan for the future when everything will need to be in ArcGIS Pro and the new annual subscriptions will start for us. Here’s where we have some of our largest issues with ArcGIS Pro.

1. Attribute Rules do not exist in ArcGIS Online.
  2. Attribute Rules cannot be edited or created unless you have a Standard or Advanced Desktop License.
  3. Basic Desktop licenses cannot export data from ArcGIS Online specifically in ArcGIS Pro. They have to download the whole database or have someone with at least a standard license export.

Seems like a lot of simple tasks that should be available at a basic level for how much the annual costs are going to be, so I hope I’m missing something.

It is my understanding that ArcGIS Desktop will no longer be able to be purchased after this year and renewals will end by 2026. Questions I have are:

1. Since renewals end by 2026, does this mean that current desktop licenses will need to switch over to the new annual cost? This would mean the cost per license would double for each year. For example, a standard license maintenance cost is currently $1,500/year. With the new ArcGIS Pro annual license, it would be $3,025/year.
  2. If the previous question is true, will Esri be discounting the price for organizations that have purchased desktop licenses and paid thousands for the initial purchase of a license prior to a specific date?
  3. Has there been any confirmation that Attribute Rules will be available in ArcGIS Online? I’ve heard a lot of “maybe” but no official timeline. We are also not interested in moving to Enterprise at this time. 

Thank you!

1 Reply
KatiePiper
New Contributor III

Attribute Rules being available on AGOL is something my organization would really like. We talk about it on a weekly basis. Enterprise and collaborations are too cumbersome and Attribute Rules should be streamlined straight to AGOL. With over 400 employees in our tribal government organization, having to give data collectors both Enterprise and AGOL accounts seems redundant and confusing for end users. The buy-in from these employees is crucial for our continued use of these ESRI applications. We would love to have an official timeline on when AGOL Attribute Rules will be deployed.

0 Kudos