Change default split policy on new domains?

02-06-2020 08:22 AM
AnnaRoyar1
New Contributor III

Hello!

I am having to set up a bunch of new domains a day for the foreseeable future. Is there a way to have the split policy in domains automatically go to "duplicate" instead of "default" in all new domains. We NEVER need the "default" option and it is very easy to miss that step when setting up multiple things per day.

25 Replies
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Not yet - still waiting on ESRI support (US) to get back to ESRI support (Aus) I believe. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

I've actually got an open ticket with Esri on this issue at the moment.  I've had some discussion with them and I believe they are looking into it.

I will post an update when I get something that is going in the right direction.

BryanNeely1
New Contributor II

found this item in ArcGis Pro 3.0 "issues addressed"

"BUG-000148890 In ArcGIS Pro, splitting features from a hosted feature service deletes the values in the
attribute table when a domain is assigned"

ArcGIS Pro 3.0 Issues Addressed (esri.com) 

have not updated to test yet.

LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Cool!  I haven't updated yet either.

LukeGilner1_0-1656344154601.png

0 Kudos
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

Yeah.  It does look like they have fixed the bug.  We haven't tried it either.  However, as an interim fix Esri gave us a patch up process that has done the job for us.  Go to the below thread to see the details posted by my colleague.  Sorry, I should have posted this earlier!

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/splitting-tool-wipes-values-from-agol-feature/m-p...

0 Kudos
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Well...I upgraded to 3.0 today.  The split tool is still not performing as it did before 2.9.  If you have any domains and the domain policy is not duplicate, it will still wipe out all your attributes with domains.  (If your split policy is set to duplicate, it will work correctly).  I'm fairly certain when I originally published my hosted features I had the domain policies set to duplicate, but when you bring the hosted feature back into ArcPro the policy was changed to default.  Prior to 2.9 this didn't matter - the split tool would still duplicate attributes properly.

@PaulHarrison do you know if the above workaround you posted has any effect on replicas using the layers in Field Maps/Collector?  I'm always cautious to make a significant change to any layers because I'm afraid it'll cause syncing issues from Field Maps/Collector.  I wish there was a way to batch update all domains to duplicate!

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Luke. The solution that we have described in the linked post didn't seem to have any negative effects on our maps in Field Maps, and I assume that would be because Field Maps doesn't actually have any split capabilities yet. As frustrating as it was to implement, it wasn't difficult to do, just a bit time consuming. In saying that, we don't have hundreds or thousands of feature services like some organisations might which would make it prohibitive. Some python guru might be able to write a find/replace script that could search all the feature service JSON's and update the relevant text to duplicate. Wouldn't be a small undertaking though. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

Thanks @LindsayRaabe_FPCWA for responding to @LukeGilner1 .  Interesting that the issue seems to still persist in 3.0.  We've got a rigorous testing process to complete before doing version upgrades so we're not quite up to looking at 3.0 in that much detail.  Lindsay has made all the fixes to our feature services in AGOL as discussed above so we may not have picked it up anyway.  Thanks for the feedback Luke.

LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses, guys. 

@LindsayRaabe_FPCWA can you confirm that the first couple steps in the linked post above are correct?  I'm wondering if something changed since then, or if I'm doing something wrong.  When I View the URL, it brings me to the ArcGIS REST Services Directory, but the URL starts with my organizations info, not the "services#.arcgis.com", so there doesn't appear to be the appropriate place to enter "admin".  But I can go to Update Feature at the bottom, and then there is an Admin option where I can then find Update Definition.  It just doesn't appear to be saving the "esriSPTDuplicate" changes that I make when trying to update the definition.

Instead of going to View the URL, if I copy and paste the URL into a new window the URL looks correct, but says Token Required.  Can you help?

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Luke. It looks like things have changed with the most recent ArcOnline update....and no longer work! I tried recreating the steps and discovered that now I can't add or update the split policy! >:(

The below help topic has a workflow that includes making a local copy of an existing feature service (in ArcMap!) and overwriting the previous service. Not really desirable (especially when this can mess with hosted views, offline capabilities, etc). 

FAQ: Is it possible to add or edit domains after a feature service is published in ArcGIS Online? (e...

I will now be posting an Idea to update the "Alter Domain" tool to include feature services and not just geodatabases/feature classes. 

Talk about making life harder for everyone.........

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos