Change Default Cache Location to Non C-Drive Location?

Jump to solution
09-06-2022 08:49 AM
AlexanderWade
New Contributor II

Hello;

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7 on a computer with a very limited amount of local memory. It is my work computer, so I don't have any option to add additional memory to the computer itself, and so I've resorted to using an external hard drive instead. My problem is that the ArcGIS Pro cache is still located on the C Drive, occupying all memory on the on-board drive itself and making it difficult to impossible to accomplish sufficiently large projects, or to work on multiple projects in parallel. Some of my team members who still use Desktop (ArcMap, etc) have managed to get around this problem by relocating their cache's location to their own respective external hard drives, but I'm not seeing a similar option available for ArcGIS.

Is there a way that I can relocate the ArcGIS Pro cache to a non-C Drive location, where that new location will become the default location for all future project's cache? If so, can someone please give me guidance on that method?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

In the options, there is a Display section which has a local cache directory that you can change the path to. There are plenty of other path settings you can change as well, just look through the different settings in the Options area. This will be slower than having it on the local drive, but that can be improved if using an ssd drive with a USB 3.0 connection or higher.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
AlexanderWade
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, I don't think so. While we are ideally all passing our data to a shared drive, in practice this has proven so slow and unwieldy that actually running projects from the shared drive is impractical. As a result, all actual projects, and data used in active projects, needs to be local if anything is going to be achieved in a timely fashion.

So, for practicality's sake, I need to keep everything involved in an active process local. 

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey

Buyer beware! I am not sure if this link addresses what you want to do and it has warnings because it is a registry edit.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012723

I opened regedit and things seem to be located at the same location in AGP 3.0.1, Windows 10.

0 Kudos
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

In the options, there is a Display section which has a local cache directory that you can change the path to. There are plenty of other path settings you can change as well, just look through the different settings in the Options area. This will be slower than having it on the local drive, but that can be improved if using an ssd drive with a USB 3.0 connection or higher.

BarryNorthey

Thanks. I knew I had seen that in the Options but it eluded me. Skip the registry edit.

0 Kudos
AlexanderWade
New Contributor II

Thanks! This worked!

0 Kudos