Cell size

Jump to solution
11-06-2021 05:21 PM
PierceSpielman
New Contributor

Hi, im trying to figure out how to change the cell size of raster files i have created to 30 meters x 30 meters but im not sure exactly how to do it or what tool to use? could someone please help me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A Geographic Coordinate system with a WGS_1984 datum is still in decimal degrees.

Perhaps, you need some background material

Coordinate systems, projections, and transformations—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Common projected coordinate systems include, UTM, Albers, State Plane (in US)... there are thousands, so pick one commonly used for your area and areal extent

Also, always add the result you get from the projection to a new empty map with no basemap added, because of projection-on-the-fly issues

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This will only work if your raster is in meters.

Resample (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or

Aggregate (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

depending on which way you need to change the cell size.

If they are in decimal degree units, then you need to use Project Raster and specify your desired cell size there.

Project Raster (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

How Project Raster works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PierceSpielman
New Contributor

thank you for responding, yeah my raster is in decimal degrees, and i need to change it to 30 meters by 30 meters. ill try project raster thank you

0 Kudos
PierceSpielman
New Contributor

i should also note that the raster i am trying to resize has been mosaicked from two other rasters. Do i need to first project the rasters i mosaicked or does that not matter?

0 Kudos
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

No it's better to mosaic rasters in their native coordinate system, then project/resample as needed. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Project the mosaic if all rasters are in decimal degrees

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PierceSpielman
New Contributor

ok thank you, last question: ive been trying to do the projection but whenever i run the tool the new raster appears but doesn't show up anywhere on the map? when i click zoom to layer, it just goes into a zoomed out version of the world map. i believe im running project raster correctly. i imput my raster and select WGS_1984 as my output coordinate system since its what im using for everything else. then i set x and y to 30 and 30 because i desire 30 meters x 30 meters. and i have been leaving the registration point blank? is there anything you can identify as the mistake to why it doesnt show up on my map when i run it?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A Geographic Coordinate system with a WGS_1984 datum is still in decimal degrees.

Perhaps, you need some background material

Coordinate systems, projections, and transformations—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Common projected coordinate systems include, UTM, Albers, State Plane (in US)... there are thousands, so pick one commonly used for your area and areal extent

Also, always add the result you get from the projection to a new empty map with no basemap added, because of projection-on-the-fly issues

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
PierceSpielman
New Contributor

yes thank you that solved the problem!!

0 Kudos