Cant add field to shapefile feature class in arcgis pro

Jump to solution
03-19-2022 01:38 PM
GaryThomann
New Contributor II

Trying to add a field to shapefile feature class.  Field type is text.  When I save the changes the feature class data just disappears and there is a ! in front of the class name.  If I delete the feature class and then try to bring the shapefile in again I get the message "Number of shapes does not match the number of table records."  The shapefile dbf file is the only thing that was changed when I tried to do the original field add.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The dbf wasn't edited outside of Pro was it?

Any chance a row was deleted by mistake?

I would try to copy the shapefile into a geodatabase to recover as much of the data as possible, as a first step, then report what is missing after the process

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The dbf wasn't edited outside of Pro was it?

Any chance a row was deleted by mistake?

I would try to copy the shapefile into a geodatabase to recover as much of the data as possible, as a first step, then report what is missing after the process

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GaryThomann
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan.  No the shapefile was not edited outside Pro.  After the shapefile got changed by trying to add a field, I tried to add the shapefile into a database.  I immediately got a message "Internal error initializing expression" and it did not load.

0 Kudos
GaryThomann
New Contributor II

I took the original shapefile and first loaded it into a database.  Then I added the field.  That seems to work.  Thank you for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

glad it worked out

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos