Cannot clone environment

08-16-2023 10:45 PM
JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

I'm trying to clone the default conda environment in ArcGIS Pro. I've tried through Pro, and also through the python command prompt. I've tried reinstalling Pro, installing Pro in E: (in case permissions were an issue on C:), updating permissions of affected directories, added relevant paths to the environmental variables. It always fails the same way. This is on a remote Windows Server machine. I've been able to clone the default env using a local PC (with the python command prompt, not through ArcGIS Pro's settings).

I've copied the command prompt messages to a text file (attached).

Main/first error message seem to be:

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute(730): An error occurred while installing package 'esri::jupyter_contrib_nbextensions-0.6.0-py_2'.
Rolling back transaction: done

LinkError: post-link script failed for package esri::jupyter_contrib_nbextensions-0.6.0-py_2
location of failed script: E:\arcgis_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-clone\Scripts\.jupyter_contrib_nbextensions-post-link.bat

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

16 Replies
trent76
New Contributor

This has been an absolute nightmare for our organization. Even with premium support tickets esri has been not able to help us one bit. The last version of pro we were able to install has been 2.7.4. The only way we were able to get this far was to whitelist the urls https://vlc.onl/ outlined in this article Versions 2.8 and 2.9 are throwing errors related to our proxy servers because on our servers the only way to access the web is through a proxy server. Esri still doesn’t know how to fix it.

0 Kudos
JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info (I guess 😅)   

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you running the clone as administrator?

How To: Clone a Python Environment with the Python Command Prompt (esri.com)

The *.bat file mentioned tries to run a *.exe in the source location and it fails for several reasons.

examine C:\... install folder ...\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts\.jupyter_contrib_nbextensions-post-link.bat

... sort of retired...
JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, I should have mentioned that. Yes ran as admin and used that article as a guide.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tech Support will put you in contact with the people who can tell you whether it is possible to do what you want.  I suspect cloning is designed for local machine installs.

other options

Anaconda | Moving Conda Environments

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GuentherGrill1
New Contributor

I had the same error caused by jupyter. I used the suggested workaround of using the command prompt in the link above, and it worked for me.

0 Kudos
mdub
by
New Contributor II

I am having this same issue with the recent release of ArcPro 3.2. Rather annoying.

The command prompt workaround did not work for me. I've also done a complete clean uninstall, rolled back to the previous version, but that was affected too.

0 Kudos
mdub
by
New Contributor II

Well, I'm not sure how kosher it is, but a simple copy and paste as follows seems to have righted the issue:

• From: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3
  • To: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3_clone

I've attached a text file with the failed attempt to clone the Python environment as per @DanPatterson's post above. The error was the same trying to clone with the ArcPro application.

Would still be nice to understand the root cause behind the fail, rather than rest on a hacked workaround!

0 Kudos
mdub
by
New Contributor II

Nope, I "wrote" too soon. The problem still persists.

0 Kudos