cannot add map frame to layout

03-18-2019 08:51 AM
DakeHenderson
New Contributor III

For some reason I cannot add a map frame to a layout.  I went back to ESRI training materials (Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro, 5 hrs 30 min, section Create Map Layouts), and still could not, although I had no trouble when I did the course.  I've tried other data as well. Possibly relevant??::  I did fiddle around with Project>Options>General>Create Projects in the interim and don't know what the default settings are.  Any thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Within the map frames, select the drop down arrow from your Map Frame button.  If the Rectangle Button is used and the basemap is not on, it will appear to be empty since it will be at the world view extent.

0 Kudos
DakeHenderson
New Contributor III

I have the basemap on. When I Insert > Map Frame, I have the choice off adding available maps at the default extent or at the current extent of that map.  Either way, I see nothing in the layout.  Right-clicking the new Layout and zooming to page or 100% also yields nothing. (I'm not sure what the Rectangle Button is.  I'm in 2.3.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try to adding one of your available maps, then left click and hold the your cursor to at-least the width of the layout. Your map should appear then.

DavidGray2
New Contributor III

Hi Douglas and Dake;    I am glad this was posted. I was having the same issue. Following the steps I found in a couple of sources - including online help - I was getting the same results. Nothing. So Douglas provides the simple solution. Why can't this kind of basic sizing step be included in the instructions?    Dave

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Dake, 

Which version of Pro are you using?  After selecting the map & extent from the gallery...

.. are you single clicking in the page to add the map frame, or are you drawing a box?  After you think you have added a map frame is one listed in the Contents pane?  Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Thanks,

Tom

DakeHenderson
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

I'm using 2.3.1. When I click the map/extent in the gallery, it is not added to the TOC. I was sure drawing a box was required to display the map frame but single-clicking in the layout seems to do it this morning, and it does add to the TOC at that time. I had not updated the version of instructions for Looking at the Getting Started With ArcGIS Pro. The earlier version doesn't require you to click in the layout, but I see the  instructions for 2.3.1 do tell you to click in the layout to add the Map Frame. I wonder why the change.

Thanks,

Dake

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dake, 

We made a change to how you add a map frame to the layout page because we found that in most cases people resized and re-positioned the map frame after adding it. We felt that it would be less work to be able to draw the box on the page when you added the map frame. So, with 2.3 and newer versions, you need to click (single click or draw a box) in the layout view after choosing the map you want the map frame to reference from the gallery.

Tom

0 Kudos