Cannot add field

12-04-2017 10:01 AM
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

I cannot add a new field column to my attribute table. It is greyed out in all menu areas.

Tags (1)
31 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

if you were editing prior to trying to add a field, save your edits, then try again

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I have not been editing and was sure to double check that. Everything is greyed out in the Fields ribbon. I've tried in different projects and with different data. It seems like it should be an easy little thing I am missing.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hmmmm I always have data I can edit... maybe you don't... so check to see if it can be

IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Hmm... You seem to be onto something. But what is odd is I have edited some of this data in ArcMap Desktop in the recent past.

As you can see in the photo below it says that the layers are projected by 'on the Fly'. I have never heard of this. And there is no Edit ribbon available.

But as you can see below, the one layer 'AllBlocksMerge', that does not have the exclamation mark next to it also does not have the Edit ribbon available up top or the ability to add fields.

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Oops! I needed to click back to the map to see the edit ribbon... just investigating that now.

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Oops! I needed to click back to the map to see the edit ribbon... just investigating that now...

It looks like it could be a projection issue... Hopefully that will work!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

projection has nothing to do with the ability to add a field

0 Kudos
IanBrown1
New Contributor II

Yes, you're right. According to the status it should be editable...

Any other ideas?

Also, are you able to see the .png images I've been adding? When I look back on our conversation I cannot see them, but they show up before I post responses. (Thank you for your patience, I'm new to the community thread and to ArcPro).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it has to be something silly... we will try a bigger picture... If this doesn't work, then I will have to change arrow colors

0 Kudos