Can you use a 1:n relate or join for time-enabled layers?

Jump to solution
05-01-2018 05:50 AM
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have a simple point layer with pointIDs, and a standalone table with time values and pointIDs. The time values are in hourly intervals (start+end times over a single day). The pointIDs repeat in the time table, so there are 24 entries per pointID.

When I do a relate, the time option doesn't recognize any field. When I do a join, only one row from the table is used. I faintly remember being able to export a 1:n join to end up with a feature containing duplicate points or each join, but I can't replicate it.

As a workaround I extracted and joined the XYZ coordinates of the points in Excel and created a layer for that but that's pretty convoluted..

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Import the Excel data into the gdb.  Make a fresh join from the points feature class to the gdb time table.  In ArcMap, the gdb will contain all the records but the attribute table will only display the first.  In Pro, the table should actually show all the records from a 1:m join and give you a message:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Best practices for time data http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/time/best-practices-for-storing-temporal-data.htm

temporal data in separate tables http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/time/temporal-data-in-separate-tables.htm

plus there is other information in that general area that may be of use

0 Kudos
LR
by

I've read those but the join plain and simple does not produce more than six visible entries (the first one for each ID) despite claiming it's 1:n. The data is fine, as at least the relate shows every row when I query a point. In ArcMap, mind, Pro just tells me it's related.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are your shapes stored in shapefile or file geodatabase (or other?)? 

0 Kudos
LR
by

Points are in a GDB, the tabular data in xlsx.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Import the Excel data into the gdb.  Make a fresh join from the points feature class to the gdb time table.  In ArcMap, the gdb will contain all the records but the attribute table will only display the first.  In Pro, the table should actually show all the records from a 1:m join and give you a message:

0 Kudos
LR
by

Importing works. I guess Pro still doesn't like playing nice with Excel files.. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are using another key field other than OBJECTID, see the visual example in the 2nd link I posted.  In that example it shows tying multiple records based on StationID to its complement in the table containing the geometry.