Can two layers share the same table

Jump to solution
04-04-2020 01:49 PM
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

I have a table of polylines, each with ten attributes. Two of the attributes  are used as values in a layers symbology Feature>Categories>Unique_Values. I need to view data using either or both of these values in data visualisation often in conjuction wiith the layer  data editor. I could switch between attributes within the layer but this means setting up the colour scheme each time for the attribute used. I have not found a way of saving and reusing  these colour schemes so the alternative is to configure  two layers sharing the same table ( + editor). Is this approach robust and unlikely to cause problems or can it be used within certain constraints?  (ARCDesktop 10.5.1, Bootcamp, MacIOS Mojave)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are going to be doing any edits/changes and are afraid that a change may impact one or the other scenario... use separate files, unless you are totally confident that you could unravel a change at some point in the future should an error be found or change in parameters is needed.  Storage space is cheap, time isn't 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

copy the table to a new file and set each one up as your want... would be the easiest solution

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A given feature class can have multiple layers referencing it.  If you are in ArcMap, just drag the same table/feature class from the Catalog pane into the map twice, and then set the symbology you want.

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Thank you for your responses. I have a table of extracted trivariant  gausian cluster data, 19 distributions in all . One  table attribute identifies the table records in each of these distributions. Two of the cluster variants are  space ( latitude & longitude) and the same spatial feature occurs  across many clusters. A second table attribute associates the records belonging to each spatial feature across all clusters. (I could do it with one feature by adjusting the first attribute but that would change the base data which I don't want to do. ). The membership of a record to a spatial feature is partially visual so automation is not an answer. There are a small number of record  instances which have been incorectly posted to the wrong clusters ( distribution outliers) which need correction so the ideal process is to edit both table attributes at the same time, i.e. correct the data and assign records to the spatial features. Not knowing the internal working of ARCgis I am concerned that I could corrupt the data base in some way whilst doing this and I appreciate  Dan's direct approach but  Joshua's suggestion meets my needs; however  is record access handled in these circumstances in such a way that table integrity and data access issues such as deadlock  are avoided?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are going to be doing any edits/changes and are afraid that a change may impact one or the other scenario... use separate files, unless you are totally confident that you could unravel a change at some point in the future should an error be found or change in parameters is needed.  Storage space is cheap, time isn't