can`t select features

08-12-2024 02:42 AM
JortHoogeboom
Emerging Contributor

I want to select features to edit them. this worked perfect until this morning, i cant select them anymore by clicking on them or with the selection tool. The only way to select and edit them is with attributes layers. In the contents panel under editing and selection are all layers selected. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JortHoogeboom 

If your project was up all night, it could have lost its connection to the SDE or a FGDB, you may have to save the project and restart it to get it working. Other than that, ensure that the layer is selectable here:

CodyPatterson_0-1723460432150.png

If there are any unchecked, you will not be able to select the layer. This is in the Contents pane under "List By Selection".

Hope that helps!

Cody

JortHoogeboom
Emerging Contributor

This I al ready tried but everything is selected with a filled box like the one you have with Hybrid reference layer. 

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JortHoogeboom 

That's unfortunate it didn't end up working, here is another few things to try:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-unable-to-select-features-on-a-map-in-arcgis-p...

It's slightly strange that these efforts haven't worked so far, would it be possible to create a copy of the project and attempt to make the changes on the copy?

Cody

0 Kudos
JortHoogeboom
Emerging Contributor

I already read the post, but it didn't work. Copying the file doesn't change anything. I tried reverting to an earlier version, which solves the problem, but I lose about two days of work. So, I'm trying to find a different solution.

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Frequent Contributor

Hey @JortHoogeboom 

Since the earlier version ended up working, but your work is lost, something definitely has changed between then and now. Finding that change has proven quite difficult unfortunately, it may be best to reach out to ESRI Support to see if they are able to find the precise issue that is coming up.

The last suggestion I have is attempt to rebuild the project in another Pro document, relinking the FGDB up to the project to see if that changes anything, otherwise, support would be best.

Cody

0 Kudos
JMutunga
Esri Contributor

@JortHoogeboom What type of features (lines, points, polygons) are you trying to select and edit? When your cursor is on the map, does it have a black or white fill? I'd also check which editing tool is active on the Modify Features pane bacause for certain tools, you will not be able to select features that do not fit their criteria e.g. Trim tool only supports lines editing so if use Trim's Active Select tool to select polygons, nothing will be selected. See this blog for more information about selection filtering and active select tool.

JortHoogeboom
Emerging Contributor

I am trying to edit a File Geodatabase Feature Class, which consists of lines and polygons. The outcome depends on the selection method I use—whether it's the selection in the map (white fill) or the selection in the Modify Features tool (black fill). Neither selection method is working. 

0 Kudos
JortHoogeboom
Emerging Contributor

I am trying to edit a File Geodatabase Feature Class, which consists of lines and polygons. The outcome depends on the selection method I use—whether it's the selection in the map (white fill) or the selection in the Modify Features tool (black fill). Neither selection method is working. 

0 Kudos