Can I build the mosaic for a ortho mapping workspace manually?

Jump to solution
02-08-2017 01:34 AM
WayneDodgens1
New Contributor II

When I load images from my 3DR solo drone taken with a GoPro 4 into a ortho mapping workspace, the process of building the initial mosaic fails.  Is there a way to build the mosaic manually?  I tried the standard toolbox tool, but it didn't register the coordinates from each image's exif data.  The error is: 'Error: 8004103f: Creation of frame camera model failed.' among others that seem less relevant.  Thanks for any advice or experience with this new tool.orthophoto mappingworkspace orthomapping #orthomappingworkspace

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HongXu
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

The Pro Ortho Mapping App is built on top of Geoprocessing tools and mosaic dataset data model. But from the error message, it seems that you didn't define your camera parameters properly. Creating mosaic dataset outside of Ortho Mapping App might not help. I suggest that you make sure that the camera parameters are correct (the units for focal length, pixel size, and principal point are all in millimeters), if it still does not work, please send your data to technical support and we can investigate.

In case you are interested in building mosaic dataset manually using geoprocessing tools, here are the steps

To create a mosaic dataset from your drone images, you may use:

• Use Create Mosaic Dataset  too to create a mosaic dataset
  • Use Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset tool and use UAV raster type to add your drone images to the mosaic.

Please note, in Pro 1.4 release, the mosaic dataset created in outside of Ortho Mapping App will not be able to import to ortho mapping workspace (this will be enhanced in future release). you can use Compute Camera Model GP tool to do further processing.

Hope this helps

Hong Xu, team raster

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HongXu
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

The Pro Ortho Mapping App is built on top of Geoprocessing tools and mosaic dataset data model. But from the error message, it seems that you didn't define your camera parameters properly. Creating mosaic dataset outside of Ortho Mapping App might not help. I suggest that you make sure that the camera parameters are correct (the units for focal length, pixel size, and principal point are all in millimeters), if it still does not work, please send your data to technical support and we can investigate.

In case you are interested in building mosaic dataset manually using geoprocessing tools, here are the steps

To create a mosaic dataset from your drone images, you may use:

• Use Create Mosaic Dataset  too to create a mosaic dataset
  • Use Add Rasters to Mosaic Dataset tool and use UAV raster type to add your drone images to the mosaic.

Please note, in Pro 1.4 release, the mosaic dataset created in outside of Ortho Mapping App will not be able to import to ortho mapping workspace (this will be enhanced in future release). you can use Compute Camera Model GP tool to do further processing.

Hope this helps

Hong Xu, team raster

JessicaTay1
New Contributor

Hello hxu-esristaff,

I understand that in ArcMap 10.5, there is also the orthomapping tool. 

My images are UAV images and I have a separate file with the latitude, longitude and altitude information. I selected UAV/UAS as the raster type to be added to my mosaic dataset but I kept getting an error message of it being unable to build mosaic dataset items. and creation of frame camera model failed.

Is there any way that I can get some assistance on this problem. I could also send some of my data over.

Thanks!

Jessica

0 Kudos
DavidField
New Contributor III

Hi Hong,

I get as far as the "Compute Camera Model" stage in my block adjustment and then I get an error. I've had a look at ESRI's documentation to try to figure out why this might be happening but it's pretty light on. Do you have any advice on where I could go to learn a bit more about troubleshooting this tool?

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos