Can Connect to Database in ArcGIS Desktop but not Pro

04-13-2022 05:40 AM
JCGuarneri
Occasional Contributor II

I'm encountering an odd issue with one particular SQL Server database. This database is not managed by me, it is for another application, but I have read access to a handful of tables in the DB. I can connect to the database just fine from ArcGIS Desktop and SQL Server Client, but if I attempt to connect to the same database from Pro using the same credentials on the same machine, it fails. The general error message is that a database connection exception has occurred:

JCGuarneri_0-1649853047734.png

I don't have this issue with any of our other databases. The only difference I've noted from the DBs that I don't have this issue with is that it lives on a different server machine. Both machines are running SQL Server 17. I asked IT to check the logs on that machine, and it doesn't seem to register the connection attempt, or at least not register an error. I also asked them to confirm that the DB user has the correct permissions, which it does.

I've also made sure to download the latest 64-bit ODBC driver and tried moving it before the 32 bit version in the PATH variable, but no luck yet. Has anyone encountered an issue like this before?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello JCGuarneri,

Did you make sure to download all the other SQL client drivers that are applicable for your version of ArcGIS Pro?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JCGuarneri

@ABishop yes, I have all the relevant drivers installed.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

The SQL database version?  Is it compatible with your version of ArcGIS Pro Desktop?  How about your Server and other infrastructure pieces?  Are they all the same version or compatible?  Also, have the admin of the database to make sure you have proper access and permissions.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JCGuarneri

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, I believe I covered most of that in my original post (except I forgot to specify everything is SQL Server 2017 before). All the machines involved are running Windows Server 2016.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

OK... just trying to help cover the bases... my apologies for skipping over that information in the original post.  When you attempt to make the connection, how are you doing it?  Through catalog? Or a tool?  Also, are you using a database connection name that is the same as an old one?  Or using any special characters in the name?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JCGuarneri

No worries! Like I said, I wasn't sure if I had understood you properly.

As for connections, I'm creating the new database connection in the Catalog pane of the project using Database Authentication. No special characters, and this is the only connection with this name. I've even tried importing the same connection file that is working in ArcGIS Desktop, but no dice.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Maybe try repairing ArcGIS Pro?  Also, I would uninstall the ODBC drivers and only install the 64bit version.  Also, have you checked on any recent bugs or patches needed for ArcGIS Pro as it relates to SQL database connection or server?  

https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis-pro&content-type=Bugs 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos