Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating Start and End Elevations For Line Segments

Jump to solution
08-08-2023 01:20 PM
Labels (1)
JWest1
by
New Contributor II

I am trying to generate elevation data along lines and I have followed the process below:

1. Vertices to Points for both start and end points and deleted fields that will not have any impact
  2. Add Surface Information to calculate the z-value for the points based off my raster data
  3. Added fields to my line feature for start and end z-values
  4. Near to calculate the nearest line for both the start and end points

Here is where everything gets messed up. When I do my Join based on the IDs it locating both a start and an end point on the same line with the same distance and is throwing off the tool by giving me an identical elevation. It ends up with my section of 1 intersection of 3 lines looking like this:

Lines

OBJECTIDStartZEndZSTART_FIDEND_FID

Start_Point

OBJECTIDORIG_FIDStartZ

End_Point

OBJECTIDORIG_FIDStartZ

So what I am seeing is that Line 21 is getting both its StartZ and EndZ from the same spatial location even though it should only be getting one or the other. How can I prevent this from happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JWest1
by
New Contributor II

Nevermind. Trying to use old tools to solve this when I can just calculate the z-values right in the field geometry calculation in the attribute table.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JWest1
by
New Contributor II

Nevermind. Trying to use old tools to solve this when I can just calculate the z-values right in the field geometry calculation in the attribute table.

0 Kudos